At the end of the session, the participant will have:
- Increased understanding of the causes of breathlessness.
- Increased ability to evaluate their own level of breathlessness.
- Increased skills in managing breathlessness.
- Reduced sense of anxiety or fear when experiencing breathlessness.
- Increased ability to safely exercise when breathless.
This session may be facilitated by a respiratory nurse or physiotherapist.
|Introduction to normal breathing.||Anatomy of the respiratory muscles.||Lung model / diagrams.
|Dyspnoea.||Fear associated with dyspnoea.|
Normal with exercise and exertion.
Not correlated with oxygen levels.
|Diagram of cycle of inactivity and dyspnoea
|Methods to control dyspnoea.||Slow down.|
Relaxed controlled breathing techniques.
Tips for managing panic attacks.
Breathing Control Techniques.
Modified Borg Dyspnoea Scale.
Topic 3 from the Better Living with your Lung Disease DVD ‘ Managing Your Breathlessness’;
|Summary and discussion.|