What Effects Did the Program Have on Key Outcomes?
As a minimum, the assessments made at the completion of a pulmonary rehabilitation program should include:
- Measurement of exercise capacity:
- Repeat the same exercise test used to assess the patient’s exercise capacity before the program (e.g. the Six-Minute Walking Test [6MWT] or the Incremental Shuttle Walking Test [ISWT]).
- Dyspnoea scores and oxygen saturation (SpO2)% should be recorded before and at the end of the 6MWT or ISWT.
- Measurement of health-related quality of life
- Repeat the same quality of life questionnaire used to assess the patient’s quality of life before the program (e.g. the St George’s Respiratory Questionnaire or the Chronic Respiratory Disease Questionnaire).