Reasons for Assessing Exercise Capacity
Assessing exercise capacity in pulmonary rehabilitation patients is important because it allows the coordinator to:
- Determine the level of functional impairment and activity limitation.
- Determine the factors that limit exercise capacity.
- Provide information that will guide exercise prescription.
- Identify oxygen desaturation during exercise and aid prescription of supplemental oxygen during training.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of rehabilitation in altering exercise capacity and exertional dyspnoea.