Nutrition and Health Eating
At the end of the session, the participant will be able to:
- Define a healthy diet.
- Identify why healthy eating is important for people who have lung conditions.
- State how to improve their own nutritional intake.
- Identify energy boosting foods.
- Identify potential nutritional issues common in lung disease and how to manage these.
- Identify associated link to quantity and quality of foods that increase breathlessness.
This session may be facilitated by a dietitian or respiratory nurse.
|Introduction.||Importance of a healthy diet, especially for people with lung conditions.|
What is a healthy weight for height (BMI)?
|BMI range chart for adults.
|A healthy diet.||Tips for healthy eating.|
Explain food groups.
|Examples of food groups.
Better Living with COPD (Ch 15).
The Australian Guide to Healthy Eating Guide.
|Modification of eating habits.||Meal planning.|
Energy boosting food.
Healthy cooking methods.
Size and frequency of meals in the context of breathlessness.
Dispelling common dietary myths eg. Milk & mucus.
|Better Living with COPD (Ch 15).
|Summary and discussion.||Individualisation of meal plan depending on overweight versus underweight.||NEMO website|