Strength Training – Lower Limb
An adequate lower limb strengthening program can be devised with or without weight equipment. Exercises should be performed slowly and smoothly.
Strength training with weights:
- Leg press.
- Quadriceps extension.
Strength training without weights:
- Straight leg raise.
- Step-ups (on box or on the stairs).
- Sit-to-stand from progressively lower chairs.
Examples of lower limb strengthening exercises without weights are shown below.
- Patient performs 8 to 10 repetitions of each exercise (1 set).
- Build up to 3 sets of each exercise.
- Progress as suggested for each exercise shown below.
Lower Limb Strength Exercises
(high weight and low repetition)
|Exercise #1 |
Knee extensions in sitting
|Exercise #2 |
|Exercise #3 |
Climbing stairs or use a stepping box
Tip: It is often advisable to perform lower limb endurance training as a “warm-up” before strength training.